Dependent vs Dependant
Difference, Examples & Quiz
What's the difference? Which one is correct?
Definition: Dependent is an adjective that means relying on or influenced by something or someone else.
Usage: Dependent is commonly used to describe a person or thing that relies on another for support or sustenance.
- 1. Children are dependent on their parents for care and guidance.
- 2. The success of the project is dependent on the cooperation of all team members.
- 3. The company's financial stability is dependent on the performance of the stock market.
Definition: Dependant is a noun that refers to a person who relies on another for financial support.
Usage: Dependant is commonly used in legal and financial contexts to describe someone who is financially supported by another person.
- 1. The employee's spouse and children are considered dependants for insurance coverage.
- 2. In order to claim a tax deduction, the taxpayer must provide proof of dependants.
- 3. The court ruled that the child is a dependant and entitled to child support.
The words 'dependent' and 'dependant' are often confused due to their similar spelling and pronunciation. However, they have different meanings and usage. 'Dependent' is an adjective that describes reliance on something or someone, while 'dependant' is a noun that refers to a person who relies on someone else for support or financial assistance. In British English, 'dependant' is also used as an adjective to mean 'relying on or requiring.' It's important to use the correct spelling and form of these words based on their intended usage.
Dependent vs Dependant : 5 Quizzes
1. What is the correct spelling?
2. Which one is the correct spelling?
3. What is the proper spelling?
4. Which one is spelled correctly?
5. What is the right way to spell it?
What is the meaning of 'Dependent'?
Dependent refers to someone who relies on another person for financial support or other necessities.
What is the meaning of 'Dependant'?
Dependant refers to a person who relies on another person for financial support or other necessities.
Can 'Dependent' and 'Dependant' be used interchangeably?
No, 'Dependent' and 'Dependant' have different spellings and slightly different meanings, although they are often used interchangeably in casual conversation.
How do you spell 'Dependent'?
'Dependent' is spelled with an 'e' as the second letter.
How do you spell 'Dependant'?
'Dependant' is spelled with an 'a' as the second letter.